Wednesday 26 May 2010

Why ebay buyer protection fails

This is a bit off piste, but I’d like to share why ebay’s inadequate buyer protection scheme has really ‘piste’ me off..

It started when I ordered a new pedestal sink from a business seller on ebay who had good feedback. When the sink arrived it was somewhat shorter than as described in the seller’s ebay listing, and basically useless unless you happen to be very short (I’m not).


I alerted the seller who said he’d send me a refund provided I paid to return the sink (about £30). I pointed out that under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 the cost of returning the sink was his responsibility, not mine, but this fell on deaf ears.


No problem I thought, I’ll file a claim under the ebay buyer protection scheme – which is always prominently displayed on its website (I assume to ‘re-assure’ buyers). I entered the details and the seller responded saying he’ll only refund if I returned the sink. A couple of weeks later and ebay still hadn’t responded, so I called their customer services to get an update. It was impossible to have a worthwhile conversation with both the customer services rep and then his manager as they simply read from a script that didn’t cover the questions I asked them. Anyway, bottom line, it became evident that the buyer protection scheme only pays out the original purchase cost and postage if the buyer foots the bill for returning the offending item to the seller (and this cost cannot be reclaimed).


I put down the phone thinking they must be wrong. After all, a buyer protection scheme that makes buyers pay for returning goods that are either faulty or not as described is pointless (as well as being at odds with the Sale of Goods Act). But on checking the small print, this is the case.


Just to re-iterate, if you buy an item on ebay and it arrives faulty or not as described then, unless the seller does the right thing, you’ll end up having to pay the return postage costs to get a refund from ebay (excluding those return postage costs). In my case I’d be left £30 out of pocket through no fault of my own.


Unsurprisingly I haven’t used ebay since and don’t intend to again, I feel it’s just not worth the risk. Meanwhile I’m speaking to trading standards, who might be able to help, but maybe the only way I’ll get my money back will be to take the seller to court. I’m inclined to do this out of principal, but it’s a hassle I wouldn’t have to endure if ebay buyer protection wasn’t so flimsy.


Do any of you, whether ebay buyers or sellers, have any experience or views on the buyer protection scheme? If so, please post your comments below.

Read this article at http://www.candidmoney.com/articles/article112.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment