Monday 13 May 2013

Good financial dictionary?

Question
Can you please recommend any books that act as financial dictionaries, with definitions of the various terms used in investments, pensions, etc? I'm new to learning about this whole area, and would like a print (rather than web-based) glossary so that every time I meet a word or phrase I don't fully understand, I can simply look it up, and also browse through it during spare time.

I did a search online but wasn't sure which publication would be best, and I know from my own field of psychology that the quality of these kinds of books can vary wildly, so hope you might have some tips.Answer
I'm afraid I'm probably not the best person to ask as I haven't used such books. I just tended to have picked up things as I've gone along, supplemented by web searches when stuck on a particular piece of jargon!

However, having looked at what's available (there isn't much) the Oxford Dictionary of Finance and Banking seems a good choice. While it falls a little short in some aspects of personal finance, it should give you a good overall grounding in the immense about of jargon used in the financial world.

I know you specifically requested a print reference, but you might find the jargon section on this site a handy backup.

Read this Q and A at http://www.candidmoney.com/askjustin/866/good-financial-dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment