Friday 23 August 2013

Can I move my Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP?

Question
I was quite suprised when I read the drawndown article in the Sunday Times today quoting you.

I have my SIPP with Hargreaves Lansdown Vantage and l always believed they were cheap. As a result I have a couple of questions...

The first is I am thinking of moving £120,000 into drawdown. Can I move that amount from HL and put it in drawdown with a new provider or do I need to leave it with HL?

Second, assuming I can move it I want to take the £30,000 tax fee lump sum but leave the rest of it. What would you recommend?Answer
To answer your first question, yes you can move your pension from Hargreaves Lansdown to another pension provider. You can do so either before entering income drawdown or after entering income drawdown with Hargreaves Lansdown (the former is probably more straightforward).

And yes, you can take £30,000 (i.e. 25% of the fund) as a tax-free cash lump sum, leaving the balance invested from which to draw an income.

Hargreaves Lansdown (HL) tends to be more expensive than some rivals when holding funds because it effectively pockets an annual platform fee out the charges you pay to fund managers. On average HL keeps about 0.6% of the commission it receives from fund providers after paying back an average 0.17% to customers as a ‘loyalty bonus’. So customers with commission paying funds are, on average, effectively paying an annual 0.6% fee for HL's services, which is high versus many competitors. The figures I supplied the Sunday Times reflected this.

HL will have to change its charging by April 2014, as will other platforms and discount brokers who haven't already done so, in line with new rules banning platforms/discount brokers from receiving payment for their services via fund managers. This will result in having to offer lower cost 'clean' versions of funds, which have no commission or platform fees built into charges, coupled with an explicit fee paid directly by customers for the service provided.

You may wish to wait until HL reveals its new charging before making a decision. It will be interesting to see what happens as HL would have to cut its profit margin somewhat and/or negotiate cheaper fund versions than the competition to look competitive on price overall.

Meanwhile, you might want to use my other site www.comparefundplatforms.com to get a feel for how the competition stacks up in terms of fund choice and cost.

Read this Q and A at http://www.candidmoney.com/askjustin/920/can-i-move-my-hargreaves-lansdown-sipp

No comments:

Post a Comment